Our History
The Collection Plate

The wooden collection plate which
has the name of the lodge carved into
the rim was presented by W.Bro. Daw  
to the Lodge at the regular meeting on
9 July 1908. On that occasion it was
immediately put to the use for which it
was intended and a collection for
charity was made.

One hundred years later, at the regular
meeting on 10 July 2008, the members
were reminded of the plate’s history
and, to mark the occasion, a collection
for charity was again made
Copyright © 2008-2013 The Prince of Wales Lodge No. 1338. All rights reserved.
Ellerslie Masonic Centre, 9A Robert Street, Ellerslie, Auckland, New Zealand
The Collection Plate
December 1869 to August 1871
Lodge Room, Masonic Hotel, Princes Street

13th September 1871
Alexandra Hotel, Parnell

28th September 1871 to April 1876
Lodge Room, Masonic Hotel, Princes Street

4th May 1876 to 20th September 1877
Star Hotel, Albert Street

18th October 1877 to 1st December 1881
Lodge Room, Masonic Hotel, Princes Street

29th December 1881 to 1975
Freemason's Hall, Princes Street

1975 to 2010        
Masonic Hall Fraternity Building,
131 Market Road , Epsom, Auckland.
               
A short history
of the Prince of Wales Lodge 1338 E.C.

In 1840 the foundation stone of a new nation was laid when the Treaty of Waitangi
was signed at Koroareka, now Russell, in the Bay of Islands. It had been a wild
place, known as the Hell-Hole of the Pacific in its early years, while used by
whaling ships, which had spent many months at sea. However, in 1840 the majority
of Maori and British representatives signed an agreement that was to bring a formal
peace between them. This helped cement the foundations on which New Zealand
would be built
.
The warrant was drawn up in England and signed by the then
Grand Master, George Fredrick Samuel, Earl de Gray and Earl
of Ripon, on the 7th of December 1870. Stowed in the hold in
mailbags during its voyage, rats gnawed on it causing several
patches that needed repairing.
Many changes have occurred during its long history but its traditions live on through
the dedication and the enthusiasm of its present brethren.
The lodge has continued to grow in strength moving several times.
Albert Street - 1880:Showing the Star Hotel.
Albert Street - 1880:
Showing the Star Hotel.
Princes Street - 1880:Masonic Hotel (on the left).
Princes Street - 1880:
Masonic Hotel (on the left).
Download
Major Charles Heaphy
1822 - 1881
The firing glasses

For many years the lodge were the
proud owners of a set of firing glasses of
which there were sufficient for each
member to use one in the refectory
after meetings.
Click on image to view full size
Click on image
to view full size
It was the custom of
the members to
applaud speeches
with a short period of
drumming on the
table, followed by
three bangs on the
table top .
This practice has existed since at least
1886 when it was noted in the minutes
from the opening of the Rodney Lodge
rooms. Sadly, over the years, through
breakage and loss, there are few
examples remaining.

The lodge purchased the two pillars,
still in use today, in 1882. Some years
later these were adorned with the
terrestrial and celestial globes made by
Bro. Ted Knowling and two other
brethren.

























The main section of each pillar is brass
and, as part of preparing the lodge for
the installation of a new master each
year, it is the job of the junior brethren
to ensure these pillars are properly
polished.
Pillars
Around 1991, one pillar was damaged
when being moved. New wooden
bases, to which the Prince of Wales
feathers were added, were made by
Bro. Ted Millar.
Click on image to view full size
Boaz and Jachin, two copper pillars,
stood in the porch of Solomon's
Temple.  

Read More
Click on image to view full size
Shortly after the signing of the treaty, land was purchased in the Tamaki Makau Rau
region known in Maori as, ‘isthmus of a thousand lovers’ a place that many wanted.
It was later named Auckland after Lord Auckland, a Governor General of India, by
Captain Hobson RN, the then Governor of the new colony.  By 1869, Auckland had
grown to 13,000 people.
The Masonic Peace Memorial









At a dinner at Olympia in 1925, the Grand Master gave his thanks for the support offered
and in particular for the support of brethren from outside Great Britain and the support of
some other Grand Lodges.  Incidentally, that dinner set a record for the number served
– over 7,000 were seated for the dinner.

While the funds were being raised, a competition was held to select the architects for
the Memorial and H.V.Ashley and Winton Newman FFRIBA were selected. Construction
started in 1927 and was completed in 1932.

The Memorial was intended as a mark of remembrance for the brethren who died in
World War One, but it also had a second purpose – to be the headquarters of the United
Grand Lodge of England.

Located in London, on the corner of Great Queen Street and Drury Lane, the Masonic
Peace Memorial is these days better known as Freemasons’ Hall.
Freemasons' Hall in Great Queen Street, London
In 1931, the lodge allocated Five Pounds to the
Masonic Peace Memorial.

The Memorial was first proposed by M.W. Grand
Master, The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn
in 191
9.
While there were six lodges meeting in Auckland at that time there was only one
English Lodge that being the Waitemata Lodge; the six were:
Ara                         348 I.C. Auckland,       Founded February 1842
Waitemata              689 E.C. Auckland,     Founded September 1855
St. Andrew              418 S.C. Auckland,     Warrant December 1861
Onehunga              420 I.C. Onehunga,     Warrant December 1863
United Service       421 I.C. Auckland,       Warrant May 1864
St. John                 464 S.C. Otahuhu,       Founded June 1868
Princes Street - 1901: Showing the Freemason's Hall (right) and Grand Hotel (centre) after the fire.
On the 18th of December 1869 nine Master
Masons met in the Mason’s Hotel, Princes Street
for the purpose of constituting a new lodge.
Most of them were members of the Waitemata
Lodge 689EC and one was from the Ara Lodge
348IC.The name of the lodge was to be, The
Prince of Wales Lodge of Auckland.
Princes Street - 1901: Showing the Freemason's
Hall (right) and Grand Hotel (centre) after the fire.
The Lodges first treasurer Major Charles Heaphy VC (the first
VC to be won during the Maori wars) was a skilled
draughtsman who undertook the repair (which can still be
seen today in the lodge).